Hmmm... Norton is reporting the .exe file (expelled-rl-windows-20190420.exe) as a virus when I try and extract the .zip file. Any reason it would do that? I mean, I'd like to think it's a false positive, but at the same time I'd like to be sure before I allow it. It's being reported as a Trojan.Gen.9. Thanks
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
You enter the final room of the dungeon, quite confident that all the power you have accumulated in your descent will lead you to victory. The amulet of Yendor is right there, standing on an altar on the opposite side of the room. You start to move carefully, wary of any trap that could trigger...
ExpelledRL is my first 7DRL entry. The game was ranked 3rd by the judges! It explores the possibility to impersonate any creature in a roguelike game. It has the typical features of the genre with permadeath, high difficulty and randomly generated dungeons. This game was built in 7 days, starting from the tcod python tutorial.
- Possession spell: you can be any monster in the game
- 8-level dungeon with a variety of environments and challenges
- 13 different endings
- Keyboard only controls
- Story and tutorial
- 8x8 graphics from Oryx design labs
How to play:
Press 't' at anytime for a help page (abusively called tutorial). Use the arrows, keypad or vi keys (hjkl/yubn) to move. Use 'a' to cast a spell, 'p' to possess a monster while alone with it, and '>' to descend stairs to the next level. Make sure you read the messages as they indicate important stuff.
- Disabled UPX exe compressor in windows version as it generated a false alarm in anti virus detection
- Ported to my own micropython-based engine (to be released in the future)
- Fixed keyboard handling inconsistencies
- Fixed turns being spent while not action is performed
2019-03-15 (full changelog in sources):
- Fixed a lot of bugs
- Polished gameplay a bit
- Fix missing font
- Use platform-independent path components
- Added precompiled linux and windows executables generated with pyinstaller
- Initial release (crashes because of missing font)
- 7DRL submission thoughts: https://itch.io/t/410036/expelledrl-success
Download and unzip the file for windows. Make sure SDL2.dll is in the same directory as the exe when you run it.
Install SDL2 (https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php).
Download and unzip expelled-rl for OSX. Make the bin file executable and run it.
Install SDL2. It's distribution dependent, on Ubuntu, it might be:
sudo apt install libsdl2-dev libsdl2-2.0-0
Download and unzip expelled-rl for linux. Make the bin file executable and run it.
The source code requires the pyrogue game engine (https://github.com/benob/pyrogue). Install development libraries for SDL2. Download and unzip the expelled-rl source code zip.
git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/benob/pyrogue cd pyrogue mkdir build cd build cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release make -j 4 ./pyrogue /path/to/expelled-rl/game.py
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
The exe is concatenated with a zip containing the game. Maybe that's what triggers the anti-virus. I'll investigate...
It seems that the UPX exe compressor is what generates the false alarm. I re-uploaded a version not compressed with UPX. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.